has purpose (hasPurpose)
This Predicate expresses the concept of a
conventional goal, i.e. a goal with a neutralized agent's intention.
Accordingly, (hasPurpose thing formula) means that the instance of
Physical thing has, as its purpose, the Proposition expressed by
formula. Note that there is an important difference in meaning between
the Predicates hasPurpose and result. Although the second argument
of the latter can satisfy the second argument of the former,
a conventional goal is an expected and desired outcome, while a result
may be neither expected nor desired. For example, a machine process may
have outcomes but no goals, aimless wandering may have an outcome but no
goal; a learning process may have goals with no outcomes, and so on.
SUMO / BASE-ONTOLOGY
principal host fn
before or equal
equivalence relation on
expressed in language
greater than or equal to
in scope of interest
less than or equal to
partial ordering on
related internal concept
subsumes content class
subsumes content instance
successor attribute closure
total ordering on
Related WordNet synsets
See more related synsets on a separate page.
- motivation, motive, need
- the psychological feature that arouses an organism to action; the reason for the action; "we did not understand his motivation"; "he acted with the best of motives"
- function, purpose, role, use
- what something is used for; "the function of an auger is to bore holes"; "ballet is beautiful but what use is it?"
- purposefulness, sense of purpose
- the quality of having a definite purpose
- bourn, bourne
- an archaic term for a goal or destination
- goal, end
- the state of affairs that a plan is intended to achieve and that (when achieved) terminates behavior intended to achieve it; "the ends justify the means"
- aim, object, objective, target
- the goal intended to be attained (and which is believed to be attainable); "the sole object of her trip was to see her children"
- purpose, intent, intention, aim, design
- an anticipated outcome that is intended or guides your planned actions; "his intent was to provide a new translation"; "it was created with the conscious aim of answering immediate needs"; "he made no secret of his designs"
- the phrase "with a view to" means "with the intention of"; "he took the computer with a view to pawning it"
- in a purposeful manner; "he caught the motorcycles in the full glare of his headlights, braked and slipped purposefully out of the car"
If thing has purpose purpose, then there exists agent so that thing has &n purpose purpose for agent.
(hasPurpose ?THING ?PURPOSE)
(hasPurposeForAgent ?THING ?PURPOSE ?AGENT)))
If education is an instance of educational process and person is a patient of education, then education has purpose "there exists learning learn so that person is a patient of learn".
(instance ?EDUCATION EducationalProcess)
(patient ?EDUCATION ?PERSON))
(instance ?LEARN Learning)
(patient ?LEARN ?PERSON)))))
If pretend is an instance of pretending, then there exist person,prop so that pretend has purpose "person believes prop" and prop is true.
(instance ?PRETEND Pretending)
(believes ?PERSON ?PROP))
(true ?PROP True))))
If advert is an instance of advertising, then there exists obj so that advert includes a reference to obj and advert has purpose "there exists selling sale so that obj is a patient of sale".
(instance ?ADVERT Advertising)
(refers ?ADVERT ?OBJ)
(instance ?SALE Selling)
(patient ?SALE ?OBJ)))))))
If meet is an instance of meeting, then there exist agent1,agent2 so that meet is an agent of agent1 and meet is an agent of agent2 and meet has purpose "there exists communication comm so that comm is an agent of agent1 and comm is an agent of agent2".
(instance ?MEET Meeting)
(agent ?MEET ?AGENT1)
(agent ?MEET ?AGENT2)
(instance ?COMM Communication)
(agent ?COMM ?AGENT1)
(agent ?COMM ?AGENT2)))))))
If organ is an instance of organ, then there exists purp so that organ has purpose purp.
(instance ?ORGAN Organ)
(hasPurpose ?ORGAN ?PURP)))
If device is an instance of device, then there exists process proc so that device has purpose "device is capable to do proc in role instrument".
(instance ?DEVICE Device)
(subclass ?PROC Process)
(capability ?PROC instrument ?DEVICE)))))
If weapon is an instance of weapon, then weapon has purpose "there exist damaging dest,patient so that patient is a patient of dest and ".
(instance ?WEAPON Weapon)
(instance ?DEST Damaging)
(patient ?DEST ?PATIENT)
(instance ?PATIENT StationaryArtifact)
(instance ?PATIENT Animal)
(instance ?ANIMAL Animal)
(inhabits ?ANIMAL ?PATIENT))))))))
If plan is an instance of plan, then there exists purp so that plan has purpose purp.
(instance ?PLAN Plan)
(hasPurpose ?PLAN ?PURP)))